About Me

My photo
"There are clubs you can't belong to, neighborhoods you can't live in, schools you can't get into, but the roads are always open." - Nike

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Syked for Change :)

Well, this is my first "real" blog in awhile...  facebook doesn't count as a "real" blog in my book. :)  I will try my best to get into the habit of writing in here often and updating.

Those of you that know me, know that I used to be a huge runner, some might even say addicted and in love with it.  It truly was my "drug" of choice.  Everyday after work I would go to my favorite little park and pound out 7-10 miles (6 days a week) and then head home for the night.  I logged a minimum of 42 miles a week.  I remember how amazing I always felt during and after my runs.  I felt untouchable, stress free, calm, happy, and most importantly...healthy.  It was just me, the pavement, and my iPod which suited me perfectly fine, because truth is, I enjoy running alone.  My mind would be clear and the adrenaline rush was unbelievable.

The past 3 years, life happened and I ultimately stopped running.  I got married to the love of my life and began nesting and doing all of the things newlyweds do... eating out, cooking delicious but bad for you food and watching too much TV.  I have missed it so much though.  I go for awhile and not think about it and then I start realizing just how much i truly miss it.  So, I decided to recapture my love of running and my health for myself and my husband and eventually my future children.  I need to know that when I have kids a few years down the road, they will see a healthy, happy, strong and supportive mother who can really enjoy running after them!

So, this brings me to my training.  I just started Couch to 5K (C25K) this week and will be on Week 1 Day 2 tomorrow!  Day 1 went as expected.  I felt every ache and pain that beginning runners feel.  I also felt like I wanted to quit before I really started, but hey it takes at least 28 days to form a habit.  My entire body is sore, but it is the good soreness... the healthy soreness.  I remember the beginner aches, pains and mindset from my early 20s when I decided running was a part of my soul.  Now in my late 20s I will recapture that part of my life and keep it front and center.  I look forward to the challenge and know that it will get easier with time, just like everything else does.  Any support from other runners is welcomed :)

4 comments:

  1. Great job on starting back up! I am trying to also, it's just hard with a baby. Plus it's to dang hot to take her outside! haha :) I'll be following along as you go! Can't wait to read your updates! :) Oh and here are a few running blogs I love to follow...Faith, Fitness, Fun...Meals and Miles...Daily Garnish...Beneath It All...Ben Does Life....Skinny Runner...Tall Mom on the Run...that's just a few that I follow.I have to many to read on a daily basis! lol :) Have fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear ya! If I don't go early mornings or after 7:00, i'll pass out... it's way too Texas-style hot right now lol... Thanks for the blog suggestions, I'll check those out for sure. I can't wait to get my new CamelBak from Academy...I hate carrying water bottles and this will help big time... Check it out:


    http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_37051_-1?Ntt=CamelBak&Ntk=All

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the blog title and excited that you're running again! I know you'll inspire me to be more consistent! Looking forward to reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you girl! :) Every time I see you post your runs on fb, I get inspired... I am hoping to get back into a daily habit of it. I took too much time off... I am feeling the beginner aches all over again. Do you run your entire workout or do interval training? I'm not the best with long distance, but I'm gradually building up my endurance.

    ReplyDelete